Saturday, September 6, 2008

How does one handle this, politely?

So, many of my Mom's friends have kids my age who are all getting engaged or getting hitched. Which is fine, I mean whatever floats your boat. Unfortunately, these kind hearted souls keep asking my Mom, "When is Brooke going to get engaged?"

My Mom handles it with grace and tact, "She's not seeing anyone special." or "I don't know, whenever she's ready."

Thankfully I have neither grace, nor tact. To put it mildly, it's annoying when people who are blissfully wed (in a day and age when 50% of people get divorced) try to make me feel bad for not being part of their club. I'm not engaged, nor do I want to be anytime in the immediate future. I'm queer so I have a 50% chance of not even being able to marry my hypothetical partner (unless we go to Vermont, California, etc.). Regardless, I'm 25. Why should I be engaged? What happened to being twenty something and care-free? I'm mature enough to admit that I am selfish. I like not having to report to someone, to have a financial responsibility like a marriage (or a child), to do my own damn thing.

A small part of this may be embitterment that I haven't met "the love of my life". That small part is choked to death and swallowed whole (anaconda style) by the common sense part of my brain that says the notion of having one love of my life is out-dated.

Thank God(s) for rationality. WOOOO!

2 comments:

Karen said...

Ugh, I hate that. I'm also in no position to get married. Aren't the 20s supposed to be about having fun?

I'm glad you took my suggested and posted. Next on my list of blog-related harrassments: D.

Danielle said...

Hear hear!