Monday, October 6, 2008

What being a nerd has done for me


So, after last month (cancer, being let go from my job, breaking up with my boyfriend, etc.) I've spent a lot of time reflecting on my life and the positive things in it. Today I was thinking about how odd it would be if I wasn't a nerd. One of my co-workers was giving me a hard time about my "million dollar vocabulary" (I used the word clandestine to describe why I kept my Facebook profile private) and I just stopped to think.

When I was eight or nine, I fell in love with Star Trek/Star Wars. I would watch The Next Generation on syndication every night, attended a convention where I got to meet the late, great, James Doohan. Every argument I was in, in elementary school, stemmed from the fact that I was an out and proud Trekkie. Eventually, I caved in to the peer pressure and stopped watching Star Trek. Comic books became my next obsession, followed by Star Wars role-playing. In high school, I fixated on C.S. Lewis and 'subversive' literature (so, Sylvia Plath isn't too subversive).

Now, here I am. I'm twenty-five and I've come flying out of the nerd closet, again, after keeping my nerdyness contained to THE INTERNET.

Yes, I love Star Trek. I love nerdy books. Science Fiction is to me what drugs and alcohol are to other people; a means of escaping from an often times brutal reality. Being a nerd has given me the best friend I could ever ask for in the entire world. Being a nerd has given me the two loves of my life. Being a nerd has helped me make some of the best friends, ever. Being a nerd has taught me that shit is never that bad, you could be de-evolving into a spider and have a de-evolved Klingon chasing you about your own ship. Being a nerd has helped me land a job. Being a nerd means it is ALWAYS acceptable to have a crush on Wil Wheaton. Last but not least, being a nerd means that you can write a blog about being a nerd and Greg Park will comment with something nerdier than what you've written.

4 comments:

JENGILLEN said...

whoa. back that ass up. cancer?

Karen said...

Amazing entry. With shitty month behind you, I'm glad you can remain positive and admit to yourself that I was right, and you are a superhero.

Anonymous said...

I'm going to bypass the "compassion" parts of my brain, and go right to what Brooke pays me to do:

Did you ever notice how every McFly in the Back to the Future series looks exactly the same? Going back to Marty's great-great-grandfather Seamus McFly, and all the way forward to Marty's son Marty Jr, and daughter Marlene. There are three exceptions to this rule: Dave and Linda McFly (Marty's siblings) and George McFly (Marty's "dad").

The McFly genes are apparently incredibly strong, such that EVERYONE in the family looks exactly alike, across at least 5 generations- with those three pesky exceptions. Why does George McFly look more like Crispin Glover than Michael J. Fox? Recessive genes? BULL. If he was the first McFly in generations to look different, he would have likely been stoned to death at birth, for the crime of being born of his whore of a mother's non-McFly lover. Perhaps he's from another family named McFly, and not a direct descendant of Seamus McFly.

How else could we explain how the super-powered McFly genes skipping a generation? What if they didn't? What if, dare I say it, Marty McFly is his own father? It's conceivable that after being knocked unconscious by Lorraine McFly (nee Baines)'s father's car, some illicit tryst commenced between groggy, semi-conscious Marty and uber-hot-in-that-slutty-Donna-Reed-way Lorraine?

There's still a big hole in the plot here, since Marty wasn't born until 1968, which is a full 13 years after any potential fluid exchange between himself and his mom-in-the-past.

We can assume that Marty's siblings were fathered by the pretender George McFly, but how could Marty have sired himself?

Let's be honest, folks. If you had a time-traveling DeLorean, and the opportunity to bone 1968 Lea Thompson- how many beers would it take before you forgot she's your mom (but not really, since she hasn't had you yet)? 4? 6?

None?

The Notorious B.A.T. said...

@jen

Yeah. I was diagnosed with stage 0 (out of 0-4) cervical cancer. Hopefully it's taken care of.

@karen, pshaw. <3

@greg, you have too much free time and I love it. :]